Wednesday 17 March 2010

Audrey Hepburn

In my search for old movies worth seeing, and that you can actually get your hands on, I bought an Audrey Hepburn Box. How could I ever go wrong with Audrey? Never! In the box came the obvious "Breakfast at Tiffany's", the black and white "Sabrina", and the very strange "Funny Face". To the revue part, I am going to act like you have seen them all, so if you haven't, do.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a totally different movie than I thought. The first thing that hit me is that the lead character, Holly, is trying to make a living of rich men, and the male lead is doing the same thing, but with rich women, they both have a sugar daddy/mama. Interesting equality. The movie is surprisingly humouristic, there is for instance a japanese character,  Holly's neighbour, who is NOT played by a japanese man, very strange and funny. And I feel for the cat more than any other in this movie, I cried for the cat at the end!

Sabrina, I had seen this before, is also surprisingly humoristic, especially the french chef who pops up from under the furniture in his first scene, and the "no bananas" song in the boat. I wish I could see the colour of the flowers on her dress which is way off the shoulders and yards and yards of fabric. I always wonder what will happen after the movie is over, how will he cope with not working for the first time in his life, and, seriously, what will she do when he is old and wrinkly (wrinklier)?

Funny Face is one of the strangest movies I have ever seen. Not that it is not worth seeing, it is, but they make such a fuss in the beginning about how she is intellectual and the magazine people are so shallow. Then it takes her about five minutes in the business and she gives up all her ideals, now she just want to get married and be pretty. Then it is full of crazy unmotivated dancing scenes, with singing involved. I still don't know what to think. Maybe I am chocked into interest with a bit of anger blended in, I do like it.

2 comments:

Fröken Rimme said...

Ooh. I just love Audrey Hepburn - the characters she plays are just so charmingly odd. I´ll have to buy that myself some day!

Ms. Kimba said...

Jag ser att ni är svenska! Jag har sett ditt namn på en blogg, Spillyjaneknits. Jag älskar att träffa nya människor, särskilt sådana från mitt favorit land. Jag brukade bo i Göteborg men bor nu tillbaka i Amerika. Jag älskar din stickning. it's so pretty. Jag också sticka. Ta hand om dig